It can be startling to look in the mirror and see someone older than you thought you were, but premature aging does happen. Things like sunscreen and skin treatments have helped us hold off the onset of wrinkles, but it’s not uncommon to experience them anyway. The good news is you have plenty of treatment options when it comes to reversing premature aging.
At Skin Deep Laser MD, serving Fort Worth, Weatherford, Benbrook, Burleson, Mansfield, Granbury, and Arlington, Texas, Dr. Laura Riehm offers a range of age reversal options, including IPL photofacials for age spots.
Signs of premature aging
We generally associate aging with wrinkles and saggy folds, but the effects can be far more subtle. Early symptoms of aging and sun damage include:
- Hyperpigmentation, including sun spots or age spots
- Discoloration on the chest and face
- Fine lines and the start of wrinkles
- Gaunt hands
- Dry, itchy skin
These warning signs will later deepen into harsher wrinkles and volume loss in the deeper skin tissue. A healthy lifestyle can help slow down this process, and the right skin treatments can reverse the existing damage.
What causes premature aging
As we get older, our body begins slowing down the production of proteins like elastin and collagen. These form the network of our skin, keeping it tight and supple. Without these proteins to fortify our skin, it can become saggy, wrinkled, and fragile.
Certain factors can speed up this process, leading to premature aging. These include:
- Smoking, which slows down the healing process and causes creases around the eyes and mouth
- Repeated facial expressions, such as smiling, frowning, or furrowing your brows
- Sun exposure, which damages skin cells and leads to photoaging
- Poor vision, which causes wrinkles around the eyes due to squinting
- Stress and poor sleep which reduces the body’s ability to repair itself, including the skin
How aesthetic treatments can help
Aesthetics is the practice of using medicine to boost your appearance, mainly through non-invasive methods. At Skin Deep Laser MD, Dr. Riehm and her team offer several skin rejuvenation treatments, such as:
- Intense pulsed light (IPL) photofacial
- Pellevé® radiofrequency skin tightening
- PicoSure® FOCUS pigment removal
- Icon™ 1540 skin resurfacing
- PCA Skin® chemical peels
These treatments can completely overhaul your complexion, including:
- Removing and refreshing old skin
- Encouraging the production of collagen and elastin
- Eliminating hyperpigmentation, including freckles and age spots
- Tightening the skin, reducing wrinkles
- Diminishing the appearance of scars
- Improving skin tone and texture
To learn more about each treatment and what it targets specifically, arrange for a consultation with Dr. Riehm. She can examine your skin type and explain each treatment to help you decide which ones are right for you. You can schedule an appointment by calling 817-263-7546 or book online.